Thursday, November 1, 2018

Facebook: Platinum Printing Hopes

from Facebook.

After 40 years in photography am finally learning to do Platinum-Palladium printing. Been looking for a UV exposure unit of some kind for a few months now. Many suggestions from you folks in the group, thanks for that.

Got a bit lucky today. Last night during my security night shift I bumped into a kijiji advert for a large silkscreen UV unit. Contacted the seller and this morning after work raced down to get it. Cost was only $25 CAD ($19 USD). It measures approximately 24 inches x 36 inches, have not had time to get the measuring tape out yet. I am still in the market for a Nuarc 26-1K or 1Ks but those are difficult to find and even more difficult to ship to my lonely outpost in Edmonton.

The plan with this platinum work is to make prints from the Thai-Burmese....FAMILIES OF THE DUMP series and hopefully sell a few prints. Then I will use the money to buy goods for the families (medicines, boots, headlamps etc) on my next trip to Thailand.

Lots yet to learn on the platinum curve yet, will start working on digital negs next week. I will be asking lots of questions of the folks here, hope thats OK. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Here is the $25 CAD UV unit and a few of the dump Family Photos. This "Families of the Dump" series is an ongoing project dating back to 2013, I just returned in April 2018 from 4 months at the dump, plan to head back around May 2019, have $360 donation money raised so far. I hope the Platinum, Platinum-Palladium or Palladium prints will tell the story of the families in even a better more personal and sadly beautiful way.