Monday, November 5, 2018

The New Darkroom, How To Set It Up?

Well I am on my week off after a tough busy shutdown week at work. This morning I went to shovel the snow at Mom/Dads home (now my home I guess). Then went downstairs to dads old kitchen where he cooked for the Strathcona Farmers Market for over 25 years.  I moved things about, took things out in the hallway and generally tried to figure out what works for my 2nd darkroom and what does not.

As I was doing this I was overcome with sadness, thinking of dad. He spent so many hours in that place, working so many hours, and now I was tearing it apart. I felt guilty, unworthy and just damn sad. I wish I could just give it all back to my father, and which he could continue to make his breads, pyrogies, cabbage rolls, pies and cakes. I wish he could live in that house forever, doing what he loved to do, which was to be a cook, and to make delicious foods.

That is never going to happen thou, my dad is gone forever, I will never watch how effortlessly he did his thing. He made preparing food, cooking and baking, look so damn easy. I will never again hear him laugh as he told me a funny story as he worked.

I so miss the sound of his voice.

Some of the things I think I can use from dads old kitchen include.

- A large unhooked up metal double restaurant style sink (will get a plumber to connect it up).
- A smaller white enamel sink with older spray gun (still working?)
- Multiple large tables of various types, some quite nice others not sot nice
- 3 deep freezers. One freezer is already loaded with much of my film, paper stock.
- A large metal garbage can
- A large metal movable rack
- Multiple type stands and shelving
- 2 large wall mounted cupboards
- Various mixing spoons and metal, glass containers, trays, pails etc
- 2 old large microwaves
- An old wall mounted grab lab time. Dad got it from me to time his baking, he liked the loud ringing buzzer.

I also have in my own collection of useful tools, mostly bought as backups. Everything I need to use in the 2nd darkroom.

- 7 different enlargers of varying types
- Tons of trays from 8x10 to 20x24
- Extra small type print washers of various styles
- Various types of safe lights, timers, lens, focusing devices, developing tanks etc.
- I also have 2 types of older plastic sinks, one that comes which its own stand which I plan to hook up first. The other one I would need to adapt a cupboard of some type.
- I also have a large tube tank like developing device that can do huge prints
- I have a Cibachrome processor, large machine (working?)
- Many old Jobo type units that might still work
- 2 different high quality densitometers
- 2 different types of light tables, one a free standing large table
- A large metal filing cabinet
- The list of useful gear goes on and on and on some more

I need to figure out how to design and set up the darkroom. Where to position the tables, enlargers, UV exposure device, sinks etc. Will do some of that this week. It will be great to have a large darkroom space to do my wet plate and platinum printing in. Also if I can rent the darkroom out now and again and do some teaching their to make extra money, it would be a nice bonus. That money will become more important when I leave my security years in the coming years.

I also need to paint the rental suite in the house this week. I got to rent out the room as soon as I can. Got to fix the toilet and replace that as well. Need to make some money to support mom and dads large house, taxes, insurance, bills of all kinds need to be paid.