Thursday, July 30, 2020

YouTube Video: Today's Fix Of A Tintype

The learning continues. Here is some work, a 8x10 tintype fix. Getting bored with tintypes, need to move onto glass all the time (ambrotypes). Also getting bored with shooting things in my backyard, I need to get on the road with the wet plate trailer!!

The eventual goal with all of this is KANATA. A 10-15 year project wetplate project of Canada! Ambrotypes (positive), wetplate and film negatives. I might eventually be making Carbon prints from the glass negs.

Tech stuff
- Gerry Collodion
- 8x10 Deardorff (Eddie) with old brass Queen Victoria lens
- Vinegar developer with an added 40% alcohol, the temp in the trailer on starting today was 32C.
- Hypo fix is a 40% mix

Slowly but surely I am becoming a wetplater, ambrotypist!

Safety Note* After accidentally splashing some silver bath on my face last week I have moved up from the foam fitting safety glasses when handing the bath to higher end safety style goggles. I will now always wear goggles, Silver bath (made with Silver Nitrate and distilled water can blind you). Safety especially when doing something like wetplate is VERY IMPORTANT. Please if you do this process, learn and follow all the safety steps and wear proper PPE (Personal Protection Equipment).

YouTube Video Of Dim-sum and 8x10 Tintype Fix

Today's Video