Saturday, July 4, 2020

First Ambrotype On Clear Glass, A Success!!

from Facebook...

An exciting day! I tried to make my first ambrotype today, it worked, I GOT AN IMAGE!! This is the first time I have poured collodion (flowed a plate) on glass and the first time I have tried to make an ambrotype of any kind. The end photo is a 8x10 clear glass ambrotype.

The collodion pour (flowing a plate) was a bit of a mess, harder than on metal. The collodion sort of went everywhere including the back of the glass. Feel happy to get an image thou. I got an image and the collodion did not come off the plate in the silver bath. Two bonuses for a first try! I edged the plate with albumen (egg white), which probably helped things somewhat.

As you can see I am quite excited!! Going up to 35x35 is going to be tough!! But we (me and all my online helpers) should get there in 4 or 5 years. In my dreams I can see this happening up all over Canada, small, large and ultra large ambrotypes of Canada, and its people, for KANATA.

A good day!! "Ain't Photography Grand!!"

14 second exposure, QQC Collodion, Vinegar Developer, 8x10 Clear Glass Ambrotype. Eddie Camera (Deardorff 8x10) with 250mm Fujinon lens at F6.7.

Note* An ambrotype is a photo on glass, using the wet plate collodion process. Wet plate collodion dates back to 1851 and was invented by Frederick Scott Archer.

Note** This is also the first attempt at a  wet plate portrait in available light and first use of that neck/head brace device thingy! Day of firsts. Hopefully weather permitting tomorrow will be a day of seconds!

Amobrype #1, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, July 4 2020