Friday, May 18, 2018

Haunted By Memories From Workers In Cambodia, Possible New "Lost Innocence" Photos

My mind keeps getting pulled back to the lives I photographed in Cambodia in 2003, and the proposed "Lost Innocence" project. Which would be a series of documentary portraits of the poor women and girls that work the brothels of South East Asia. I can never forget and continue to be pulled back over and over again to the people I met and photographed. I can still see their faces in my memories. Their desperation and sadness continues to haunt my thoughts. Some how I have to find the courage, to photograph and tell those stories again. These young women suffer so much, their lives most often are lost or destroyed, their strength and humanity must be remembered. If I return and make new photos, this time digitally I would call the project "Lost Innocence" and would try to get the work seen in major galleries. The stories of these forgotten girls/women need to be told.

The pictures could lead to dialogue, and might even help with some positive change. Maybe I could donate the money from the artist talks, exhibitions, and print sales (??) to organizations that help the young workers. I have read about one such place in Phnom Penh Cambodia. Imagine that, using the photos to help those who have suffered this terrible fate. That seems so right. I might also be able to make money to help from donators to the blog and  from friends. I could throw in some of my guard money as well. This could turn into a very positive series of pictures, helping those in need, just like "Families of the Dump" has become.

Going back into that world again (the world of prostitution) will be hard thou. It is such a negative place to be. People who see you there will assume the worst of me, it is also very emotionally draining, being around such ugliness such sadness all the time. I need push myself through the dangers and difficulties on and remember the woman in the photographs, they are all that matter, their lives, their stories. Helping them as best I can through the making of the photographs and the telling of their stories is all that is important, nothing else. Maybe if I do this right, I can put to rest the memories of the lost lives I witnessed in 2003.

Fok Vietnamese Brothel Sex Worker Poi Pet, Cambodia 2003