Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Dad The Cook

Dad has been doing better this week after having a minor procedure at the hospital the week before. Today he was chowing down on some A&W chubby chicken I bought him, he also ate part of a hamburger. The amazing thing I learned today was that dad made some cabbage rolls yesterday. For years dad was a cook at a farmers market here in Edmonton, making pyrogies, cabbage rolls 5 or 6 types of breads, pies, various deserts etc. Since he got cancer he was unable to do any cooking work but yesterday somehow he felt good enough to make some cabbage rolls (with moms help). When I went down to his house today he made sure mom gave me some cabbage rolls to take home. I joked with him about making pyrogies next, I was only joking but I think dad might give it a try. His appetite is much improved so that's a good sign, mom said he is eating lots of different types of food. Having him at home and eating all his favourites is helping dad, being around the family is also a positive for him. I think that if he was left in the hospital he would lost his will and his appetite and might already be gone. Pancreatic cancer is a devastating disease but dad is 8 months in, 82 years old and still fighting on. I am starting to have some hope that dad might be able to make it to our next birthday, we share the same April birthday. Its a lot to ask, and still a long way off, probably to much hope for but if dad can make it he would be 83 and I would be 51. Christmas is less than two months away, that is a more achievable goal, I hope we can spend this christmas together at the house.