Sunday, June 5, 2011

Night In The Dark

Spent then night working on the "Fading Lives" show photographs. I think I got one print completed and am almost finished another. The second print is bordering on being to soft a photograph, the grain in the image helps give an illusion of more sharpness. I wish I had my unsharp masking set up but I cannot afford it just yet. I wanted to add a unsharp mask carrier, punch and printer to my darkroom but the entire package costs $900 and I cannot afford it just yet. I am not sure how unsharp making will work with 35 mm negs, maybe it will not work well but I wanted to give it a try. Will probably use the setup more with my large format negatives.

I am reasonably happy with the second print so far, but I am going to touch up the burning on the face of the subject in tomorrows printing session. I had a Leica M6 for many years and did nothing good with it but for this show after shooting 5 days in Klong Toey I will have around 8 prints made with the Leica. The camera is a wonderful tool, the 28 mm F2 is a very expensive lens but boy is it a beauty, it produces beautifully sharp negatives.

Am tired now, will go to bed. Thinking ahead to tomorrow, I am excited, it will be great to be printing again, printing these new negatives for the first time, trying to make them sing the song I want them to sing.

Ain't photography grand!