Thursday, April 28, 2011

More on the Alberta Foundation For The Arts

Woke up 4 hours early today to do some printing for the Alberta Foundation For the Arts deadline. Been struggling with the negative for 2 hours, another 1 hour and 30 minutes before I have to start getting ready for my night shift.

I returned the call to the foundation today and got more information. I also got an extra day! Can now drop off the prints on the 4th.

The Art by Acquisition program has been acquiring art work for the province of Alberta for several years, the current number of works number 8000.

Here is a link to their holdings.

https://hermis.alberta.ca/afa/

Once collected the work is loaned out to government agencies and non profit organizations for a small fee. It is also takes part in traveling exhibits around the province, the traveling shows are divided into the 4 regions of the province. If the artist has a gallery show they can also request that the foundation loan them their own work back to them for the duration of the show.

I hope I can get one or two of the works sold, to be collected in this manner has always been a dream of mine and on a more practical level any money I receive from the sales will be put towards making more photographs.

I guess what happens now is that I drop off the works at their downtown office/gallery, and then the jury people come and make the final recommendations on what should be purchased. Should find out next week what's what. I have to take it as a positive even if the work is not accepted. I missed the deadline for the Canada Art Bank this year but next year I will submit work to both the Provincial and National programs.