Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cambodia Trip

Been reading Cambodian history and working a bit on the language. I have been fascinated by Cambodia since I saw the movie "The Killing Fields" in 1984. Such a tragic complex history, how did what happen there happen? How did the Khmere Rouge come to power? How can men hug their grand children in photos now and yet during the Khmere Rouge period these same men killed children by slamming their heads into trees?

I need to go there to make portraits and try to understand.

The coming Cambodian trip is quite far off but am already getting excited, I expect to buy the air ticket in about 3 weeks. I will stay in Phnom Penh the whole 3 week trip. I have to buy my second Asian trip air ticket before I leave for the first trip. I was planning on spending the second 5 week trip in Thailand but might go to Cambodia as well the second trip. Maybe I can buy the second ticket to Phnom Penh then travel the country for 2 or 3 weeks and spend the final 2 or 3 weeks in Thailand before departing from Bangkok.

Am studying the wonderful work of the photographer Bill Burke, who shot extensively in Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam. Check out the the beauty, the independence, the strength and defiance in this Bill Burke portrait.


Bill Burke's "Woman with Elephant"