Thursday, November 26, 2009

Types of Photos


W. Eugene Smith

Philip Jones Griffith









I have been thinking what kind of photographs I want to make, what I should be trying to achieve.

Important subjects and forgotten people.

Lately I have been reviewing the work of 2 great humanist photographers, Philip Jones Griffith and W. Eugene Smith. Griffiths book Vietnam Inc. and Smith's book Minamata are both stunning examples of what a photographer can acheive. Both photographers shot important subject matter of forgotten people, they had a definite point of view, a subjective point of view which they translated into great photographs that told a meaningful story.

I need to find subject matter that inspires me that gets me angry that gets me motivated.


Philip Jones Griffiths: Brother Finds His Sisters Body, Vietnam

W. Eugene Smith: Tomoko In Her Bath, Minamata Japan