Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Quotes: W. Eugene Smith

"Photography is a small voice. at best. but sometimes one photograph. or a group of them, can lure our senses into awareness.... Someone, or perhaps many, among us may be influenced to heed reason, to find a way to right what was wrong."

" Each time I pressed the shutter release, it was a shouted condemnation hurled with the hope that the pictures might survive through the years, with the hope that they might echo through the minds of men in the future. causing them caution and remembrance and realization."

"I have never made any picture, good or bad, without paying for it in emotional turmoil."

"I can never photograph without love,...I create only when I have the spirit and spirituality of life that love gives me"

"I believe if you stir human emotions, much can come out of it. I don't believe you stand a chance of changing many of the important wrongs in the world unless you reach through the emotions that stir the brain."