Friday, March 28, 2008

Review: Eight Solos Part 5

Note: I do these reviews for my own personal education, I am hoping that by verbalizing my often confused thoughts : ) I can zero in on becoming a better photographer myself. All comments are directed towards photographs shown in a public gallery any negative comments are written in the spirit of suggestion and self improvement and are not meant as any kind of personal attack on the Artist.

Member 5:

Felt this artist had a better show than at the last group show "Alberta", the difference this time was that work was more even, more balanced, no bad photographs. The matting was much better than the last show also. In the "Alberta" show the only thing that kept me from naming one of his images #1 was the fact that it was matted poorly, I did not see any of that this show, some slight over cuts but that's about it.

As I stated in the matting blog entry.

The best matting style in my opinion was the work of member 5, it was simple and direct (just like in a real museum collected work). No fancy double mats, no black core mats just a windowed archival over mat laid over a photographic print and framed in black, simple direct and to the point. I will follow member 5s lead and print my 2 photos for the upcoming VAAA show in the same manner.

I wish that the artist would have made all of his prints with the common leaf theme. I felt that the 2 leaf photos were by far the best images shown. The only piece I did not like was "Derelict Window" which I found compositionally confusing and lacking a point of interest.

Best Image:

Leaves on Steps #2, 2005

Gorgeous print with wonderful warm tones. Will rate this print in the top 5 of the show. I would like to own this photograph.

Member 7:

Did not enjoy these photographs, felt a bit lost when viewing them. The one image that had merit was "Snow Shadows", I thought the composition worked well, the choice of subject matter was also on the mark but the lack of detail and sharpness was a negative.

I was also not a fan of the colored mats or framing style. My thought on this is keep it simple let the photographs do the talking not the matting/framing.