Friday, March 28, 2008

Review: Eight Solos Part 4

Note: I do these reviews for my own personal education, I am hoping that by verbalizing my often confused thoughts : ) I can zero in on becoming a better photographer myself. All comments are directed towards photographs shown in a public gallery any negative comments are written in the spirit of suggestion and self improvement and are not meant as any kind of personal attack on the Artist.

Member 4:

I found this artists work at a much higher level than I did at the last show "Alberta". I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and look of the prints. I guess they were lith prints, but they looked so different than member 3s lith work. I have to learn more about this type of printing, the results can be breathtaking. I thought the framing a bit elaborate and a few of the compositions were a tad postcardish but overall a very good showing by this artist.

Best Images:

Well Aged, Wells Cathedral, UK, 2005

Wonderful looking print with a full range of tones, just fun to look at.

Grand Central Station, New York, USA, 2007

A great sense of place and use of motion. I really felt like I was in the station, also enjoyed the various colored tones. I thought this print was one of the top in the show.

Member 6:

I dumped on this member big time last review and was very pleased to see the higher level of the work he showed this time around. At the "Alberta" show there was much more uneven quality in the photographs, this time around I thought it was consistently at a higher level and enjoyed 2 of his prints quite a bit. I did not really like the print "Reading Chair" that much as I found it rather trite and uninteresting but all the other prints shown were enjoyable to view.

His use of contrast was still a tad high for my tastes (I would dial back 10-20 points) but to each his own, if he enjoys a higher contrast print that's his choice! All the photographs were matted and framed nicely, thou the double mat is a bit elaborate for my tastes. I think also the silver framing does not really work (has a cheapish look) better to go with black frames. Not sure but was "Boat in the Woods" also at the "Alberta" show?


Best Images:

Church Ruins, Bankhead, Banff National Park,2005

A contrasty print that works well with that contrast, well composed with an overall nice composition.

Old Truck,Hanna, 2003

This artists best image. I will include it in my top 10 photos from the show. I thought the choice of lens and camera position worked very well. Got a feeling of times past when looking at the photograph. Good detail and overall sharpness also.