Thursday, January 9, 2020

Jack On The Steps Of His Slum Shack

I photographed this man whose name is Jack 4 or 5 times in the few days I worked on , THE PEOPLE WHO LIVED UNDER THE FREEWAY, series in Klong Toey slum Bangkok. Jack let me right into his world quickly and easily. He allowed me to photograph him smoking an illegal drug called "Ice" ("Naum Keng" in Thai), he allowed me to spend time with him in his roadside shack as he slept, and thought. He only joked when I asked him his age, he seemed so lost, so used up even thou he was a young man. When I tried to give him some money, he refused to take it. I hope to go back to photograph him in 2020 when I return to Thai.  I will take 4 of 5 photos I made of him and give them to him the next time we meet. I need to learn more about his life, and continue to tell his story.

I am being pulled into these lives and their stories under the freeway., so many people there live forgotten lives. I hope Jack is OK, still alive, drug use in any world, especially in a slum in Bangkok usually ends bad.

This is a new scan of an image shot on film. Tri-x 800 ASA developed in Rodinal 6ml-Water 300ml given STAND development for 1 hour 15 minutes. The camera was a Leica R6 SLR , forget the lens.

Jack, THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY, Klong Toey slum, Bangkok, Thailand 2019