Sunday, January 12, 2020

My 2 Darkrooms

I originally posted this on a facebook darkroom page, but thought I would share it all here on the blog as well.
-----------------------------------------------------
Did I post photos of my darkrooms? cannot remember, thought I would join you folks in that effort..I have 2 darkrooms...here goes...these photos are from the last several years...The current version of the main darkroom #1 (metal sinks) are the first photos with the Durst 1200 enlarger and the Jobo moved to Darkroom #2 (the funky colored one)....am also working on a darkroom trailer now for wet plate work across Canada. Will post some of these later in the spring when that darkroom is completed...thanks folks..

Old medical drying cabinet, use this in darkroom #2. I have a real drying cabinet bought for $50CAD in darkroom #1.
I have two plastic sinks and 1 metal restaurant sink in darkroom #2. There is also a pair of sinks and a spray gun on the left side of the darkroom. This is a left over from the days my father used this room to cook in for a farmers market. Spray guns are wonderful for washing darkroom trays, tanks, reels etc, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I have them in both of my darkrooms.

Darkroom #2 wide view, I used up all the paint I had...also have a large library in darkroom #2, I use it mostly when I am waiting for things or in between agitation times I browse photo and art books.
The second Saunders LPL. The sink on the right, restaurant sink makes film development easy, spillage, who cares, no mess!
Love the Zone VI tray type washers, have a 11x14 and 16x20 version, a friend copied the design and made me a 20x24 version for $150 CAD.
Darkroom number 2 early days. This darkroom needs work yet, no exhaust fan in it (Darkroom 1 has a big exhaust fan system), no safety plugs over the sink etc.
Earlier set up of enlargers, the DURST CLS 450 has been problematic for me, keeps blowing up bulbs!
Enlarger layout, the TV is no longer in the darkroom..the 2nd sound system was moved to darkroom 2.
Gaugain copy that inspires, spray gun, 4x5 film washer and Jobo.
One of 2 large metal sinks in darkroom 1. The wooden insert the Patterson tank is standing on his great, it allows me to make table work areas inside and on top of the sinks. I can place trays on top and on bottom or use it as a work area, I have 2 sizes of these inserts. There is a great ability to set up the space in multiple ways.
The floor projection Saunders LPL (almost never use it). Along with a bunch of other free bees I got from friends, nice light table, drying screens etc...(this is an old photo, things are cleaner now).
My Fav two enlargers Durst 1200 with condenser heads, does wonders with 35mm negs printed to 20x24. And my old standby, a Saunders LPL with multi grade head. I now have 3 of these. One in darkroom 2 and 2 in darkroom 1, the second LPL allows for large prints projected onto the floor.
Prints from FAMILIES OF THE DUMP project. Am lucky enough to have these stories told in galleries, 4 times. The money earned because of the exhibitions and the money donated was all given back to the people in the pictures in the form of rubber boots, food, headlamps, medicines, toys, candy, tools and cash.
8x10 Durst, got it cheap at an auction for $200 or so forget now...the color head was bought from a guy in New York and added later..

Free bee Durst 5x7 given by a friend, darkroom #1.
Zone VI cold light, , darkroom #1.
Chamonix 16x20, Zone VI cold light enlarger, and Durst 5x7, darkroom #1.
Chairs are important, sometimes you need a place to sit and think in the red light. I also do lots of dancing when I am in the mood on the empty floor area. For me the darkroom is the best place in the world.
Darkroom #1 in its current set up. Plan to print soon in it, as I have a week off work.
A 20x24 print washer that you can hook up to a faucet, based on Zone VI design. I have to archival print wasters 16x20 and 20x24 behind it. I also own a 11x14 Zone VI archival print washer that is great for smaller work.
Darkroom #1 in its current set up. Plan to print soon in it, as I have a week off work. Without the Jobo in this sink, I now have a place I can store wet prints safely.
Trays trays and more trays, silver for wet plate.
Slightly neater layout...the chemical mixers are great to have.