Wednesday, January 15, 2020

New Photo Of Khun Anapon

Doing a bit more scanning today of recently developed Tri-x film negs from last trip. This particular image of Khun (Mr.) Anapon was made on Tri-x at 800 ASA and given a STAND development in Rodinal for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Anapon is sitting in his hope under the freeway. He is the first man I met in this area back in around 2012-13. I have been photographing him on and off every trip to Thai (I usually go once or twice a year). Anapon is a former Muay Thai boxer who has travelled internationally. He is usually a very quiet man who just smiles and stares out into the darkness of the nearby active train tracks near his home. In the photo you can see his left foot which is badly malformed, from an accident, am not sure how that happened. He does not travel much out of his room, only to get food and to use the washroom. As you see him here, is now he spends most of his life. I have spoken to him about his family, and children but he does not say much, only that they are gone now. If you look a bit at the picture you can see Anapon placed a plastic flower in his doorway, just above his head and made a little brick entrance way to his room. I always give him and others under the freeway that I photograph a bit of money each time I make their pics. one time. I remember one time after I gave him a few baht he immediately ran off to buy some rice and an egg for lunch. I am looking forward to visiting him again in 2020, I hope he is OK and safe. I worry that one day I will go to visit him and his room will be empty and abandoned.

Anapon in his room, THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY,  Klong Toey slum, Bangkok, Thailand 2019