Saturday, September 14, 2019

Polite "Photo Life" Magazine Rejection

After some false hope and prolonged effort, today I received the expected polite rejection email from Canada's number 1 photo magazine "Photo Life". I have been rejected by Photo Life probably 5 or 6 times through the years, it has become an annual disapointing event. That is OK thou, they are good people, sometimes things just do not mix well. The only bad part is that I feel like I let the families down yet again, the photography was not good enough. Need to better next time.

Here is there polite rejection email, with my reply.

Dear Gerry,

Thank you for your interest in Photo Life; we appreciate you taking the time to provide us additional information and writing samples. We plan our issues long in advance, and we have most of the next several issues already lined up. If we are interested in discussing your proposal further for a later issue, we will contact you.

Best,
-------- --------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok ------,
Thanks for considering the story. I realized it was a bit of a long shot. I will be returning to the dump in 2020, 2021, 2022 etc. So both the humanitarian and photo work will continue. If I can get the work into a majorish gallery/museum will send you and invite:) Trying for that now.  Trying for WAG and the Art Gallery of Grande Prairie and some other places as well.

This last photo I am sending you is of a young sister carrying her brother through the garbage at night, made in around February 2018. This is a common sight in the dump. I photographed one brother carrying a sister combo now for several years, he loves her and protects her so much. They usually carry their younger siblings as their parents work the garbage.

I want to thank you for taking the time to write me personally. Many times I send out my begging emails and get no response at all :)

Best Wishes....Gerry
Brother and sister in the dump at night, "Families of the Dump" Mae Sot, Thailand, 2018