Tuesday, September 10, 2019

New Submissions Coming

from Facebook...

Doing up submissions. About time to have another exhibition. Trying for mid level galleries in Regina, Ottawa, Grande Prairie, Dawson City, Winnipeg and Nanaimo. All paying galleries. All have paid art talks (I think). Hopefully something will come of it. Money earned goes back to the people in the photos. The perfect circle of artistic life, photograph people in need, tell their stories-show the photos, raise money, use the money to help those same people in the photographs.
Also meeting a nice fellow (a former pro photojournalist) who works at one of the galleries tomorrow for breakfast. He wants to talk photos and see some photography so put some on my laptop for him, also going to show him some small digi prints. Here is a sample....

Young Child, Families of the Dump, Mae Sot Thailand, 2018. Young boy in the dump with an older sister watching over her. It is very common to see one young child looking after another in the garbage.
Young sister taking care of brother, Families of the Dump, Mae Sot, Thailand, 2018. This is another version of the earlier photo of the two.
Group working the garbage, Families of the Dump, Mae Sot Thailand, 2018. A group of women talking as they work the garbage. The common language amongst all the ethnic groups at the dump is Burmese. Some folks also speak a bit of Thai. The young girl in the pink hat, had a conversation in Thai with me about boots, you can see it below. She is such a intelligent young lady. The children at the dump COULD DO ANYTHING!! They just need the opportunities and chance to succeed. http://gerryyaum.blogspot.com/2017/10/video-test-video-girl-asking-for-boots.htmltag
From the 2007, 2009, 2012 Sex Worker On White photos. The pics were shot in studio with a 8x10 camera. https://slate.com/culture/2014/01/gerry-yaum-photographs-sex-workers-in-pattaya-thailand-in-his-exhibition-body-sellers-the-sex-workers-of-thailand-at-photonola.html

Win family boy with toy panda puppet, "Families of the Dump", Mae Sot Thailand, 2015. This photo comes with a story. I was photographing 100 feet away when I saw the boy find the puppet and start to play with it. Because of my keen photo instincts and blazing, amazing, stunning talent, I sensed a photo opportunity!!! Can't miss this one!! Run Gerry Run!! So I quickly jumped into action racing across the field of garbage. About 5 steps in, I STEPPED ON A NAIL!!. I felt a sharp pain and looked down to see a 2x4 board stuck to my rubber boot. Kicking off the board I went to get the shot. At that point why not, the nail damage was done, I must get the photo!! Now especially! So I went in got the shot and then retreated to check out my foot. I took off my boot and sock to see blood on my right little toe. The nail had luckily missed the main part of my foot and had just grazed the side near the toe. I washed the blood off with my precious supply of drinking water and then photographed the rest of the day. At night when the light was gone I went to the hospital and got a shot. http://gerryyaum.blogspot.com/2015/11/hospital-time.html
Kodoku #1, Kyoto Japan, 2017. Part of the "Solitude" series made in Japan. There almost always seems to be such a hard working, exhausted, solemnity to the Japanese people I meet in Japan.
Burmese man, Families of the Dump, Mae Sot, 2013. This man did not trust me at first, later we became friends of a sort.
Two boys and a man, Families of the Dump, Mae Sot Thailand 2013. I photographed the father in the photo for 5 years, he was back in Burma last trip as his wife had gotten sick. A nice man. The boy in front of him is his son.
Book sample page...top photo from families of the dump, bottom from the Klong Toey slum series (Bangkok).
Boy eating oranges found in the garbage, Families of the Dump, Mae Sot, Thailand, 2018. This is the young Win boy who I have photographed for years eating oranges he found in the garbage. Here is a photo from 2015 of the same boy, he had just found a Panda Puppet. I accidentally stepped on a nail before making this picture. https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Vum-smMYvOU/VnF4BsHR-2I/AAAAAAAAVrg/EKeECrjDx5Q/s1600/103071a_edited-2.jpg
Ying laughing, The People Who Live Under The Freeway, Bangkok, Thailand, 2013
Kodoku #2, Tokyo Japan, 2017.
"My Fathers Last Day" print in the darkroom.
Dad, "My Fathers Last Days". Edmonton, Canada, 2014. A photo series I did on my father the last year of his life. He passed away from Pancreatic Cancer on February 22, 2015. Miss you dad.
From the 2007, 2009, 2012 Sex Worker On White photos. The pics were shot in studio with a 8x10 camera. https://slate.com/culture/2014/01/gerry-yaum-photographs-sex-workers-in-pattaya-thailand-in-his-exhibition-body-sellers-the-sex-workers-of-thailand-at-photonola.html