Thursday, February 29, 2024

Salt Print, Photo Story and Video Link: Young Girl Waiting

Un waxed salt print. Calcium Chloride 2%, Silver Nitrate 15%, Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag Fine Art Paper 

8 ply mat 

Young girl waiting for her mother to finish working in the dump,THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot, Thailand, 2016

She sat in a shelter on the edge of the dump. I was on my way to some homes in a far corner of the garbage. I was carrying 2 bags of food, including heavy rice. Eager to get rid of the weight, that was pulling me down in the oppressive heat, I almost walked by her. Instead I walked the distance to the shelter and made a series of photos with my Rolleiflex. 

The girl looked so sickly. I gave her a donated Barbie doll and some donated pink boots. All the children we gave toys to would laugh with joy but this girl just stared back at me wit the same distressed expression. Years later in 2022 I learned that she had survived. I have her name in a video, need to find it.

Her mom and pink boots