Thursday, February 1, 2024

Redo Darkroom Trailer Design?

I have been thinking lately of how I can redo the darkroom trailer layout to accommodate the 24x24 silver tank and stand I am having built in the Ukraine. 

The tank is acrylic with a wooden support base that I need to mount on the floor. If I place it at the back of the trailer, the wooden support and tank will block access to the rear doors, not a good thing. I am thinking of removing the metal shelf and the plastic drawers on the left side of the trailer (if you're looking to the back of the trailer) and placing the new silver tank along the left side of the trailer. I would need to screw the wooden box tank holder into the floor, so I need to figure out a permanent design. I will probably need to lose the metal shelf and also some of the plastic cupboards to make it work.

I think this idea might be functional. It would allow plates up to 24x24 to be made more easily and also allow me to seal the silver nitrate solution in the watertight tank and drive away from a shooting location more quickly. We will find out how it works in April when I start trailer the transformation.

Note* I asked the builder Alexander to add an additional cross support piece to the Silver Nitrate tank box.