Monday, December 18, 2023

Too Old?

In the last little while I have had 2 different sets of people suggest I was too old to make photos in Indonesia or the Philippines. I am 59 years old and in good health. I was told at my age I should not consider photographing workers in the volcano in Indonesia and that Tondo slum in the Philippines was too dangerous, to visit. I was reminded that old people are usually more careful and afraid.

Why do so many people live in fear, especially as they age? Does it give them an excuse to get through life, to not chase dreams? A reason to just live a quiet, average, normal, old person life? 

Today I received a book in the mail by the great photographer and multi-talented Gordon Parks. It is an autobiography (he wrote several) titled "GORDON PARKS, Voices in the Mirror". Mr. Parks wrote the book when he was 77 years old. The first thing I read was:

"Here in the autumn of my life I still feel that there is a lot more to do, that there are opportunities waiting to be grabbed."

I will follow Mr. Parks advise. I will chase down dreams, travel to potentially dangerous places, meet new friends, make new art. I will grab as much as I can for as long as I can. If I fail, I fail. Failure has always been something I can live with easier than regret.