Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Ton Of Salt Print Chemistry!!

Ordered a ton of salt print chemicals and other necessities for matting recently. The matting tools are to properly present the work in 8-ply mats. The chemistry is to make salt prints up to 16x20 inches in size. 

My biggest expense was gold chloride for toning the salt work for permanence. Cost was $179.95 USD (including shipping) for 3 grams. Making and using  gold toner should be fun!

Here are some of the things purchased off Amazon. Things likes beeswax, borax, achival tissue and tape. Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda), Citric Acid, sea salt etc. 

I bought multiples, which should allow me to make salt prints for several years. Then mount them into 8-ply mount board (if I can find that locally). The idea is to do portfolio editions of the life's work in Gelatin Silver, Platinum-Palladium and Salt. Then to mat them and store them in archival boxes. I will try to donate them to major Canadian galleries before my death. Then the important stories of the people that allowed me into their lives can continue to be told. Hope, hope it goes that way! The prints might all end up in the rubbish bin. You gotta try thou! So many people I know, never try. Trying keeps you young and striving in life, you have dreams and goals to chase down, not trying means you're already dead!