Thursday, February 16, 2023

Eye Wash In The Field?

Thinking of getting a portable eye wash system of some kind to help me in the field IF I end up in the volcano. The gases the volcano expels often lead to vision issues. I guess your eyes can start to burn as a result of becoming slightly acidic. When you rub your eyes, you can make it even worse.

I was told that a way to deal with that is to take a shower and allow soap into your eyes intentionally. Soap is a base so it helps to neutralize the acid problem. Probably rather uncomfortable to do, but it is doable and safer/better than the alternative.

If I am in the field, several hours from a shower I was thinking that having a small system that would allow me to wash out my eyes with slightly soapy water might be of benefit. I would of course be wearing sealed to the face googles or a full-face respirator (worry these might interfere with picture making), but even wearing this type of PPE might lead to some gas getting into my eyes. To have a way to clean them in the field, sort of an emergency backup, seems sound safety wise. I might give it a go.

The eyewash needs to be very portable and light, plus rugged to take the abuse without spilling open, damaging my camera gear.

Note* Could also use this system with the ambrotype project.

Some Possibilities:

Might go with the last one which is, light, plastic, strong, I could have a separate small securely capped water bottle to fill it with. I could store the water in the bag away from my cameras.