Thursday, February 16, 2023

Learning To Speak Indonesian Is Difficult But Fun

Enjoying my Indonesian language training. Learning another language at 58 is difficult but probably good for the old brain. Sort of an unexpected workout/exercise. I will not be fluent, but I should be able to learn to speak basic Indonesian. I know this is possible because I am able to learn basic Thai. If I can do Thai, I can do Indonesian as it is an easier language to learn.

I find with my Indonesian studies that online sources help so much. I have an app on my phone that teaches me vocabulary. I can put in words or sentences and they app translates from English to Indonesian for me. Even more importantly I can go the other way. So, I can learn how to say something then practice saying it to my app, going this time from Indonesian to English. If my app understands me then I know my pronunciation and word usage is correct. It is a great learning tool, sort of like having a human Indonesian language teacher in the room with me!  The app allows me to slow down the words so I can hear each syllable clearly, which is a big bonus as native speakers speak Indonesian LIGHTNING FAST!

I think it has been about a month, maybe less of learning but things are progressing nicely. If I can keep up the effort and if I do not go to Indonesia until the end of the year, things should work out fine language wise. 

If I have the ability to speak Indonesian, then the photo projects and donation work will be a success. I can make friends, solve problem and most importantly get a better understanding of the lives I have been allowed to photograph. Learning the feelings and history of my subjects will create deeper levels of empathy and compassion, which translate into better more powerful and effective photographs. It will also help with general knowledge; artist talks and my ability to raise goods and money to help the lives of the people photographed. Basically, the more I know, the better!

Note* There are also many online sources to learn Indonesian from, places I can go to translate words and to hear those words from both male and female voices.