Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Acrylic Paint For Ambrotypes

The acrylic like paint on the ambrotype turned out pretty well. I feel I have my first completed glass plate. I used one of the lesser images to practice on. Will transition to some nicer images as the technique improves. I will put a varnish layer on the next plates and try more expensive acrylic paints. Am hoping the more expensive acrylics will be of better archival quality. I also want to experiment with a deep red colouring.

The depth of the image is rather stunning. The illusion of 3D is what I love about ambrotypes.
The varnished and acrylic paint (VARAP, my name for it) gives a dull mat rubberish covering.
My alternative process printing room work area.
Finished plate look.
The taped and drying covered plate.
The varnish and acrylic paint mixture with some Indian ink added.