Thursday, November 7, 2019

Truck Stolen

Bad luck yesterday. My dads old 24 year old 1/2 ton truck was stolen from in front of the house. Reported it to the police and to insurance. Turns out I do not have comprehensive insurance on the truck (theft) so I have no coverage at all. Will receive $0 if the police do not find it. To make things worse also lost my one and only garage door opener in the truck and just last month I invested $3200 CAD in repairs on the vehicle. Now I have no truck for moving things (which I desperately need), no truck to drive mom around in (easier for her to get in and out) and no truck to pull next years wet plate photography trailer with. I also feel violated, and I feel like a let my dad down again, it was his truck, a truck he used without major incident for years to take his baking to the local farmers market. I lost my dads truck, I screwed it up, I had the wrong type insurance on it.

Who steals a beat up (front light taped on, rear bumper very badly damaged, ignition barely working) 24 year old truck? Been very down about this, feel like only sleeping and trying to forget my insurance screw up, I should have got comprehensive on it. I chose what I chose because I was trying to save money, trying to cut corner, trying to get by paying less. Got slapped in the face for my stupidity.

Am very down, I am making too many mistakes.

Update* Spent all week down, worried how to tell mom about it (my mom is in an old age centre with the very early stages of dementia). I decided it was better to say nothing. What could it help for mom to know? It would only upset her and cause worry. My role now as her son is to protect her from such things, make her life as happy as possible. If she asks about the truck I will tell her if not then will not. It is better to deal with this ugly, depressing problem myself.

Not telling mom is hard to do as in the the past I did not keep things from her or dad. I miss talking to both her and dad about everything.