Sunday, June 28, 2009

Nid 6 Years Later

I photographed Nit again tonight in a shortime room over the bar she has worked for the last 6 years. I first met and photographed Nid back in 2003, her eyes have dimmed since then, she looks tired most of the time, and now she has a small rose tattoo over her left breast.

Nid is a sweet lady who can still laugh when I make my silly jokes, I wonder how many more years she can work the bar life before it finally breaks her. Lots of damage has already been done to her emotionally but hopefully physically she can get through this part of her life.

Today before the shoot Nid showed me a cell phone video of a home she was building for her mother and her son and herself in the city of Korat in Northeast Thailand. I was happy to learn today that she was using her money in such a positive way, smart lady.

When I left Nid I told her I would see her next year but I hope she is not working in the bar when I return in 2010.