Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Box of 10 Ladyboys

Diane Arbus put together a project in 1970 called A Box of Ten Photographs. She created the portfolio box to raise funds and further her work. I have been doing some daydreaming tonight trying to focus on exactly what I want to accomplish this coming photo trip. I think what I want to do is create my own portfolio box of 10 ladyboys! I want to do a series of 10 portraits of ladyboy sex workers in Thai. If I could accomplish this task I will consider the trip a success.

I think the photos will probably be made with the Bananarama and flash on location both on the street and in short time rooms. It is important the photographs be honest, graphic and human. Ladyboys are very visual people so the graphic part should not be a problem, I will have to focus on capturing their honest humanity thou. I have to follow Jock's and Jim's advice, more humanity, more humanity.

When I come back I would like to print the images to 16x20(possibly 11x14)on warm tone fiber paper, matted and in a nice handmade box, all to archival standards. Then I will try to sell the box sets on ebay and my website. If I can make $2000-$3000 or so per box and sell 3 or 4 boxes it would help fund my next photographic trip of 2009. I am not looking to make any kind of profit, my only goal is to sell some work which will enable me to make more photographs sooner. I feel like I am running out of time, I need to create the work now.