Wednesday, June 25, 2008

2008 Edmonton Works Festival Photo Exhibits

A friend of mine sent out this email, I thought it might be useful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello I thought I'd bring the Works to your attention. I've looked through the program, and there doesn't seem to be much photography. Here's what I've found:

Capitals Restaurant in the Sutton Place Hotel: photos of daytime places, at night. There may be photographs in other shows, but they're not listed as such in the program. For example, there are 6 photos at the VAAA show on 112 St. (2 of them are mine, but you've already seen them, I expect). The Theme of the Works this year is "Art Can be Scandalous". I read a preview of the show that said there's not much controversial here. So, it's pretty ironic that Gerry's submission for a solo show was turned down. I wouldn't say his work is scandalous, but it does push the envelope, certainly for the Edmonton art scene. So, "Art is Scandalous" is a nice, but apparently empty, advertising slogan. There is a art sale tent in Churchill Square. We couldn't get into it, so I don't know what's in it. As a separate deal, there is a young photographer selling in a tent in the corner near the ticket sales place on the south end of the square. Really good "travel" photos; they're definitely worth a look. I put "travel" in quotes because they're not the conventional kind of thing meant to maximize street fair sales -- dramatic sunsets, etc. They're mostly streetscapes, beaches, buildings and such; mostly quite dark but with really good tone control.

J