Saturday, December 29, 2007

Thomas Ruff Photo


I have been looking at some of Thomas Ruff's work lately. He did a series of head shots in color with average people, find the work kind of boring in nature but the idea is similar to the one I had recently. I think thou that a square format will make the composition more intimate and also the harsh lighting along with the metallic paper will add to the feel the image has. I also believe the subject matter (portraits of sex workers) will also have a deeper connection with the viewer.

I have to make sure this series of portraits is not exploitive but instead documents and pays proper respect to the sitters. To not use these people for my own goals is the most important consideration. I must photograph them in a way that honestly depicts them as individuals.