Sunday, April 30, 2023

Making Crazy Camera Plans

 So, it being a quiet Saturday night here in the guard shack, I am having wacky thoughts. 

When I shoot the huge and heavy (150lb) HF3535 (35x35 inch view camera) in the field for the AMBROTOS KANATA project its is going to very physically demanding. I have not shot the camera yet but in my head, I keep going over scenarios, trying to figure stuff out. How can I make this work?

Because the camera is so massive, and because I will need to do all the physical work myself. I need to figure out working systems that will allow me to do that. Systems that will allow me to continue to photograph into my early 70s.

I think to use the camera effectively.

1) I need to find the perfect shooting situations. A place where I will have a great photo, lots of space, and plenty of set up, shooting and take down time.

2) I need to be able to shoot from that set up for at least 4-5 days, a week or longer would be better. Only with time can I do the work that needs to be done and make the Ambrotypes that can be made with this wonderful tool. 

3) I will need to have the camera out in the elements for a week at a time or longer. How to do that? A tent structure of some kind needs to be set up around the camera. The tent will protect the camera from wind, rain, dust and other damage. It will also protect me while I am working. Especially in situations where I might be photographing in Canada's vast landscape, potentially places near major Oceans, Mountains or up in the Canadian far North.

4) I will need to support the camera inside the tent. Something strong and if possible adjustable to a degree. The only thing I have come up with so far is sawhorses of various heights. Thou this will require lifting the camera on top of them by myself. I will also need to transport the camera to locations, to and from the darkroom trailer.

To figure out this wacky plan, tonight, at work, I am looking at tent structures and sawhorses!

Note* This project, this crazy, wacky AMBROTOS KANATA project, is a first in Canadian history. Trying to do stuff here that has never been done before (at least mammoth plates, on a national level). I need to think outside the box a bit. Lots more crazy ideas, plans, failures and successes ahead!

Fanny the RV and Freddy the darkroom trailer in action, last year.
Foldable sawhorses $25 a piece, can hold 300lbs
HF3535 camera
One option, a inflatable tent like device 13x13x13 feet, cost $1400 USD plus shipping from China
Another inflatable tent option, 13x10x7 feet, $1300 USD plus shipping form China