Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Bought Me A DJ Mid Drive Fat BIke

Bit the bullet and finally bought me an E-Bike. I have been thinking on this for like 3 years. My last 2 normal bikes were stolen, so was a bit gun shy. I missed riding a lot thou. I also wanted to figure a way to allow me to do wet plate easier. This buy might do just that.

The bike retailed last year for $2499 CAD and I almost bought one but backed off at the last minute. I checked the DJ bike website today and they were having a 10th anniversary spring sale. The bike was selling at $1999.98 CAD (with taxes and free shipping $2998.95). I ordered it.

My hope is two fold, one to have fun and get some exercise, and two hook up a bike trailer to my new bike so that I can use the bike to haul large heavy wet plate trailers and possibly the camera/tripods to and from the shooting location. 

So the idea would be to haul everything out to the site using the electric bike motor, set up. Then to travel back and forth from the trailer to the camera then from the camera back to the trailer making pictures. I think the most tiring part of wet plate for me is the walk too and from camera position to the darkroom trailer. You might do it 20 times for 1 picture. With the ULF heavy holder (3mm glass sheets inside the holders) it will get more and more exhausting. I hope the plan works! 

The unit is a mid drive with a 750w motor. The mid drive engines are supposed to have better torque which I will need. 

Note* from the FACEBOOK post buying rational!  

A sale today on electric bikes ($500 off). Got my first E Bike today. A DJ fat tire mid engine 750w. My hope is to use it for the wet plate project. I had been holding off buying the bike for 3 years because of cost, but today decided to "go for it!".

Want to hook a bike trailer onto it to haul the super large and heavy ULF plate holders (20x24 inch and 35x35 inch) to and from the camera position back and forth from the darkroom trailer. I have found that walk can be the most tiring aspect of wet plate, worried about how difficult it will be with the larger plates as I age. With 8x10 I am often doing like 40 walks a day. It might also help with speed, allowing me to get the process done before the plate dries out. The mid engine design is supposed to help with Torque, something I will require.

Hope my evil plan works!!

https://dj-ebikes.ca/products/dj-mid-drive-fat-bike