Friday, July 9, 2021

Removing Fixer From The Plate In The Field

It is very important to wash the hypo (Sodium Thiosulfate) fix from your plate after use. It is the main reason I decided to do the whole agitation pump thing in the trailer. This pump will allow for better washing of plates if I continue to use hypo as my main fixing agent (might turn to KCN). I found that the pump also runs off my little Costco emergency battery unit. A nice bonus there!

This is from Quinn Jacobson's book "Chemical Pictures", in his section on Sodium Thiosulfate, page 44.

"Remember, if you use this fixing agent, you will be required to wash the plate in running water for at least 30 minutes to fully remove the silver/hypo from the plate.  If the plate is not washed well, it will turn black over time because of the silver/hypo still left on the plate."

My plan is to use the pump to create good agitation and do multiple (now many not sure?) water changes in the field to wash the plate properly before drying.

My little Costco Unit

Agitation Pump