Sunday, January 31, 2021

First Palladium Print, Oops!


Did my first Palladium print. Some things went right some did not. A good learning experience, plus it was fun.

Things that went wrong.

- image too dark. The wrong curve? Exposure time? (don’t think so). Did I use too much chemistry when I made the paper? The neg seemed thin to my eye but I am not sure what digit negs should look like!

- image too contrasts, original edit? The wrong curve?

- poor brushing of Palladium liquid, took a photo and let it sit too long? poor brushing technique?

- spillage of emulsion outside frame, tape did not hold liquid in?use rubylith instead!

- dust spots, dirty holder or digital neg?

Outside of those errors, things tuned out great!

 On the plus side, all the chemical stuff was easy, the blacks look good, and the final dried print even thou it was badly overexposed and too contrasty had a presence I really liked. I can see the potential beauty print at the end of this in my minds eye. I just need to get the tech stuff down. Then I can print a lifetime of negs in Palladium if I want.

 I was surprised that since this was a Palladium image it was not warmer toned, not sure why. Chock this up to a learning experience.

Final image, way way to dark and contrasty

Holder face down before the 10 minute exposure

Paper after coating, uneven attempt

Digi neg, paper  and holder on UV box
Chemicals on paper, (4 kinds mixed together)

Tray set up in darkroom #2

Paper after exposure, shows a slight outline of image

Work area, paper taped, brush and chemistry