Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Salgado? I Don't Think So, BUT THANKS!!

A superb complement from a Facebook photography page posting. Not even close to being true of course, but being compared to Salgado here, and to W.Eugene Smith elsewhere, is always awe inspiring for me as those 2 gentlemen are my photo gods. Salgado and Smirth are my photographer inspirations.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anapon, THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY, Klong Toey slum, Bangkok , Thailand, 2019

Part of an ongoing series THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY. The story is about the lives of a group of Thai people living under or near an active freeway overpass in Klong Toey slum, Bangkok, Thailand. Khun Anapon is an ex Muay Thai boxer who was married with children, and traveled internationally as a boxer. He suffered an injury to his left foot and now lives alone in a small room made of scrap wood under the freeway. Anapon's foot is now badly deformed and it hurts for him to walk any distance. He spends most of his day staring out from his room into the surrounding darkness. Khun Anapon is the first man I met and have been photographing him since 2012.

Anapon, THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY, Klong Toey Slum, Bangkok, Thailand 2019

Sophie Z I imagine you have heard this before, but your work reminds me a lot of SebastiĆ£o Salgado. It is heart wrenching and beautifully done all at the same time.
  • Gerry Yaum As high a compliment as I can ever hope to get. Salgado is a photo god, with his heart in the perfect place. Thanks so much Sophie....
    • Sophie Z; You are welcome. I thought of Salgado as I looked through your images. He is an amazing photographer and person. There is so much that can be accomplished with images. You can also do a lot!
      GERRY YAUM You are welcome Sophie. I thought of Salgado as I looked through your images. He is an amazing photographer and person. There is so much that can be accomplished with images. You can also do a lot!