Monday, February 3, 2020

Latest Martial Arts, Aches And Pains

This weeks martial arts aches and pains include a small injury. My body was feeling pretty good after Monday and Wednesdays Aikido classes but during Friday's class I managed to bang up my left shoulder a bit. I think it happened during a front roll, we were also doing bokken practice (working with a Japanese style wooden samurai sword). On Sunday in Karate I did a long careful warm up with stretching to prevent injury but still manged to pull my left leg ham string muscle. I was doing a combination front kick and back kick (which I suck at) when my planted left leg gave out in the hamspring area (above the knee). It is a day later and a bit sore, cannot really stretch it much but am slowly trying to do that. The goal is to get the leg ready for my next Karate class on Feb 16th.

Am trying to be as careful as I can. I sweat like crazy in all my classes, I am getting a great work out at least! When I get pinned to the mat in Aikido I usually leave a big wet spot where my face was :). Karate is where I seem to get more injuries, all the kicking and strikes are wearing me down some. I do feel improvement in both Karate and Aikido thou. Slow steady improvement, just like my slow and steady 55 year old, 6 foot 2.5 inch (and shrinking), 238 lb body!

A brochure I found in one of my second hand Aikido books says that the benefits of Aikido include agility and SUPPLENESS (is that a word?). Not feeling all that SUPPLE today, but hopefully will be in better SUPPLE/AGILE shape before this years return to Thai in the fall.

Note* I pulled my right hamstring a few weeks back but it is now healed, now got to heal the left one.