Thursday, August 15, 2019

Set Up The 16x20!

Am thinking of using my new 16x20 Chamonix Camera in Thailand  next year for a cross country photo project. With that in mind I set the camera up today on a new tripod and new head combo that I bought several years back (never used before). I usually buy gear a few years in advance of my projects and then when I am ready I dive in head first.

This project idea is to do a series of pictures of both the traditional Thailand and modern Thailand using a traditional camera (view camera 16x20 film) and a modern camera (Medium format digital camera 50 MB Hasselblad X1D). Old and new type gear, old and new Thailand.

Am not sure I will be able to handle the 16x20 in Thailand. Traveling the country lugging this monster about with a large tripod, holders, lens,  hanging tent etc. Might prove to much of a challenge, especially as I will be 56 years old in April 2020. Will test it all out here in Canada first before I decide. I might have to go to my lighter-cheap 11x14 camera. I know I can do the lighter 11x14, but can I do the 16x20? The 16x20 film will also be much more expensive.

I think it would be a cool and different project for me to shoot. It is certainly a challenge and that is always a good thing. As you get older it is important to keep pushing and challenging yourself in new directions. Taking this camera set up to Thai for 7 weeks in 2020 would also help me develop things for my coming cross Canada wet plate project.

Note* The Lens is the expensive Fuji 600mm F11.5. The tripod is a wonderful geared centre column unit I got off EBay cheap. The head is the largest available from Luland in China, it seems to work well.

Note** The tripod seems to handle the weight of the camera very well. Having a centre column that you can crank up and down and then lock down is also a very useful compositional tool. I looked out when buying this thing, thought it was a lot smaller than it was when I bought it.

Hyper me unboxing the 16x20 Chamonix Camera

Large Linhof Tripod

Luland Tripod Head

Fujinon 600mm F11.5 Lens

Chamonix 16x20 camera on Linhof geared centre column tripod with Luland Head.