Thursday, August 1, 2019

Hasselblad X1D, First Photo Of Mom

This is my first attempt with my new-used X1D Hasselblad. The photo is of mom for her health photographic series, documenting her fight with dementia. Not sure what the pictures will be like just now, how I want to shoot it, but this is a nice start. Will probably do photos using a variety of cameras, the X1D will be used to create a series of head shots, made through the months and years, as the her disease progresses. So this photo might be one in a series of several hundred heads made over the next several years.

I want to tell moms story with honestly but with respect and kindness as well. The high quality files give so much detail, am not used to that just yet. Need to use the added file sizes and the detail to their best effect. I can use my 35mm Tri-x shooting for 1 look, allowing blur and non detail to tell a story, with the X1D it will be the opposite. It is nice to have both tools in my camera bag now. Telling important stories in as many ways as possible is always more fun and challenging.

Note* With my two new used X1D batteries I will have a total of 4 to use!! I still owe about $3000 CAD on the camera but should be able to pay it off over the next few months. Then I can shoot guilt free! So far I quite like the X1D, the auto focusing and the manual focusing (especially the manual) are a joy to use. The tonality and extra detail from he larger files are amazing!! Am eager to try the unit out in Asia, in 2020, wish I would have had it last trip!

Mom, July 31 2019, X1D Hasselblad, 800 ASA, 1/40 F4, 45mm Lens (slight crop).