Saturday, December 29, 2018

Got My Thai Air Ticket!!!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and a good new year. I have been busy working, spending time with mom and painting darkroom #2 (orange, yellow and black).

Just bought my 2019 Thailand air ticket. Will be off in May, returning in July, a 7 week trip of photography and donation work at the dump. We have raised $1110 to help the families so I intend to be buying boots, headlamps, medicines and food supplies again for the people who work the garbage. Also looking forward to returning and making photographs with my friends again.

I will probably try to go the motorbike rental way this trip. It is very dangerous to ride a bike in Thai but it allows so much more freedom. Will have to be as careful as I can and take my chances that someone does not run me over. Will be renting hotel rooms this time at $20-$30 a night, so my costs will be a bit higher than last trip where I rented an apartment for less than $300 a month.

I will need to find another major subject to photograph this trip as well. Will continue making photos at the dump, at the Bangkok Klong Toey slum (people who live under the freeway), the Muay Thai gym etc. But I need a new project, a new series of work to dive into. Preferably something where we can also do some donation work connected to it. There is a monk I vaguely know in Bangkok who works with abandoned animals that might fit the bill. I could make photos of his life, his work and also could do donation work to help the dogs, cats, and all the other living lovely creatures he takes care of. Another option  might be to do something on migrant workers (family, children), drug addiction in the slums, or the poor women condemned to lives in the brothels or possibly homeless street people, or children (one child? one older persons life?) in Bangkok. Not sure which direction to go. Maybe an entirely different idea will come to mind. I would also like to continue the Sukhumvit at night photographic series.

Anyway, got my ticket! Am off to Bangkok again! Wonder how many trips I have taken to Thailand? Probably 20 or more now.

"Ain't Photography Grand!!"

Long short time bar sex worker, Pattaya Thailand 2007
Khune Goh Bangkok, Thailand 2014
Boxers in slum gym, Bangkok Thailand 2014
Child begging on walking bridge, Bangkok Thailand 1999