Monday, December 10, 2018

2nd Darkroom Coming Along

This week did some more work on my 2nd darkroom. Am cleaning, painting and organizing things. Trying to figure out my darkroom layout. Where the sinks will be, the enlargers, light table, working tables etc. Here are some photos of the recent work and an early layout plan.

I will probably put in a exhaust fan of some kind last, already contacted a electrician about that.  I also have plumber lined up for the sinks, but first need to figure out some kind of platform to place the 3rd sink on (in the photos it is temporarily placed on a table-cupboard).

The idea behind this 2nd darkroom is to have a larger space where I can do Platinum and Wet Plate photography in. I will also teach basic photography workshops here as well as rent the darkroom space. In addition it might turn out to be the best space to organize a lifetime of negatives in. There are lots of storage places to keep negs in, cupboards, cabinets etc.

Note* The wacky paint color choices on the walls and cupboards is because I am using up all my old paint in this darkroom (10 year plus old house paint). I might be buying some black paint to use around the enlargers, to cut down on stray light glare.

Note** The room also has 3 large deep freezers and I will put in a fridge as well.

Note*** My father as always was thinking and worrying about my needs. When he bought the large double stainless sink 15 years or so ago, he asked me if I could use it later. I told him I would in a darkroom. What a great father.

1st and 2nd sinks, got the first big double stainless sink from dad, he bought it years ago will add spray gun..
2 sinks and enlarger table area will hold 3 or 4 enlargers. New orange painted walls.
Heavy duty large light table, $25 CAD.
Old condenser enlarger, $80 CAD.
Large metal filing cabinet I picked up free.
2 of the 3 sinks, $25 and $40 CAD.
Hot water mixing valve, part of a large darkroom gear purchase, $10 CAD.
First coat of yellow paint on the far cupboards.
Dads old wash area, 1 stainless sink, one large sink with spray gun (new head).
L-shaped area of 2nd and 3d sink, 3rd sink allows work from both sides. Orange cupboards