Saturday, December 15, 2018

A Very Large Donation For The People In "Families Of The Dump"

Today was a very good day. The "Families of the Dump" social documentary photo series helped raised another $700 CAD to help the people living in the Mae Sot Thailand garbage dump. A donation check from the anonymous couple I wrote about a few days ago arrived in the mail.
Another Donation Coming

I was expecting $100 maybe $200, they gave $700!!! I will deposit the check tomorrow and later use the money when I am back in Thailand, in the dump with the families. I can buy more headlamps, rubber boots, rice, medicine etc. Thank you so much my wonderful anonymous friends. And thanks to all the others who donated as well.

This large donation pushes me above my dreamed of donation goal total. I had hoped to raise $1000 before returning to Thailand, We had already raised $410, now with  this most recent $700 gift, the total sits at an amazing $1110. 100% of that money will go directly back to my friends, the people who work and live in the Mae Sot dump. It will put rubber boots on children's feet and buy headlamps to allow for night work. It will buy rice, medicines for the families and lollipops for the kids. :)

A good day, I am happy. Days like this make the boring and bad days balance out. Am looking forward to returning to the dump and getting back to work with my friends.

Note* The photo is a little boy named Chemeeko. His home is behind him (on the right) where he lived with his young father, mother and a his baby sister. I have known the family since 2013 when I photographed Cheemeko's parents wedding. At that time the bride was 15, the groom 17. A common marrying age for Burmese couples. When I left the dump in March 2018 Chemeeko's mother was 8 months pregnant with her 3rd child.

Little Chemeeko next to his dump home, Mae Sot Garbage Dump 2016