Social Documentary Photography for a Better World!

Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Disaster in the Darkroom Trailer

Lost all my Silver Nitrate from my Acrylic Tank. It leaked and I lost about 4-5 litres of the solution. I have travelled with it loaded in the tank for several years now, with no issues. This time it leaked from the tank, through the 5 inch foam surrounding the tank and through the hard tack box I used to project the tank during travel.

Bloody awful, hundreds of dollars in silver lost! $500? $800?, who knows. So f-cking depressing.

Spent the night cleaning up the mess as best I could. I cannot transport the silver that way. It will need to be stored in lab bottles, in the special foam cooler I made up. This will require more time and effort, each time I shoot. I will have to unload the silver solution from the bottles, and then put it back again each time.

I have lost faith with silver nitrate tanks, at least the larger ones. This i]is the second time I have had a leak.  I might try doing my silver work in trays from now on.

Note* I made up a fresh 5 litre bottle of Silver Nitrate solution afterwards, to replace the lost one. I have about 16 litres of thee stuff.