Tuesday, October 3, 2023

How To Ship 35x35 Inch Glass Ambrotypes?

 From Facebook:

FSO: Good for you! Personally we find even 8x10s become a storage problem. And then for ambrotypes assuming you sell them - there’s shipping! So keep only the good ones!! 😉 Have fun!

GY: The hope is to have the work collected, so that solves the storage issue. Haha! Sold the first two last week (8x10s). With 8x10s I just keep reshooting them till I really love the capture. I can always find storage for images I love. We live in a big house. The trick is to only keep the really good ones. I sometimes love only parts of the picture! Do you keep those or not? What I do worry about is the plates for the next two cameras after the 16x20. I have a Chamonix 24x24 and a HF3535 inch. Should be shooting them within in 3 years. Storing 35x35 might be an issue!!

FSO: …on glass?? How will you ship to a buyer??

GY: Have to ask my friend Kurt M about that. He ships black glass Ambrotyoes measuring 27x35 inches. 

I figure if I can successfully transport 35x35 inch plates, plus the camera and chemistry Canada wide to make the Ambrotypes, there is always a way to ship them.

If I cannot ship them, I can save them and hopefully donate them later. The creation of the work is what matters most.

I do not want to count my chickens before they hatch thou!! Still figuring out 16x20. If the 35x35 is too big to do effectively, I will downsize to 24x24. 

There is always a way.

When I was photographing my ten year project (film and digi) in the Mae Sot dump in Thailand. There was a man  (Mr. Win) who I would see struggle into the garbage every morning to scavenge at 430am. I would hear him walking in complete darkness and see his headlamp. Usually in the very early morning, it was just me and him in the dump. He was the first one out and often the last one back home. The hardest working man at the dump (Burmese refugee). When I face any difficulty in wet plate I think back to him. Anything can be overcome, anything can be accomplished!!

Attached a Rollie shot of him.

Mr. Win working