Saturday, October 14, 2023

8x10 Glass Plate Washer For My Ambrotypes

Tonight, I bought this upright acrylic washer for my 8x10 plates from a seller in the Ukraine. 

I figured I could rig it up with my trailer water recycle pumps, allowing for more complete and thorough cleaning of the plates. The other big advantage is that the plates and the ultra-sensitive collodion emulsion will now receive less accidental touch damage. Once I have the plate on its individual plastic carrier, I will not need to touch the plate. There will be a lot less chance of accidently, scraping, touching scratching and plate movement (sometimes the plates move on top of each other) related damage.

I damage my plates over and over again in the wash trays. In fact, one of the plates, I sold to the provinces collection was damaged that way. When you screw up at the end, it really hits you in the heart. I hope this tool will help alleviate some of that pain.

Total cost was $280 USD plus $80 USD for shipping. Well worth it, if I can make more beautiful Ambrotypes.

If this works, I might try ordering a 16x20 version from the maker, as a special-order item.