Sunday, October 21, 2012

First 8x10 Home Darkroom Tintype Scans

Did a couple of scans of the betterish tintypes. Not sure what all the crap is on the portrait, probably from the diluted developer I used. The photo of the wheel barrow was the first shot of the day, there is a development island and a bad collodion pour (that improved by plate 6). I kind of like the portrait even with all the weird ass development problems, it's also a bit underexposed.

I think I might not be using enough developer, at the workshop I used 1/2 a shot glass for a 4x5 plate, these are 8x10 plates and I used 1 full glass, I might have to go to a larger size glass. I also tried the vinegar developer that did not work at all. I am hoping I can get the vinegar developer working so I can avoid having to deal with stronger forms of glacial acetic acid. Hopefully I can narrow this all down in 6 months or so and stop all testing and concentrate only on making photographs.

Note* these are pepped up a bit in photoshop, I added contrast, I think my silver is a bit low in my silver bath need to add some silver nitrate when I get it.