Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Quote:Roger Housden (Writer)

From his book "How Rembrandt Reveals Your Beautiful Imperfect Self"

"That's the best thing about looking at the paintings: the looking. I find, on coming out into the world again, makes me more human. Makes me less absorbed in a world of my own, more able to see others as they are. Makes me remember the advice of Philo, the old philosopher from Alexandria, who said, "Be kind; for everyone you meet is engaged in a great struggle.""

On Rembrandt:

"...he manages to take everyday people and imbue them with qualities that elevate their humanity..."

On Rembrandt's paintings:

"When I stand there before them, I myself feel more human, more alive and engaged. As in all his later work, Rembrandt invites me to participate in the painting, instead of being a mere observer of it."