Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Karsh Aztec Arctifacts


Visiting the AGA Karsh exhibit was both fun and funny. I loved all the interactive displays of equipment and technique. There was a show of several cameras of lens, tripods and lighting equipment, they even had some of his brushes on display that he used in Bromoil printing techniques. There was a darkroom section with some retouched negatives and short explanations on techniques he used in his photography.

It was a bit much thou when they had his dodging tools (think mine are on the floor of my darkroom in a box) under glass sort of floating there, 6 different tools I think sort of floating like precious diamonds under glass, I kind of felt like I was expected bow to them!

The dodging tool thing was a bit funny as well as the way they treated his photography equipment, sort of like Ancient Aztec Artifacts. Heck there was tons of things on display that I still use, do not make me an Ancient Artifact just yet PLEASE : ) I own one of the Karsh lens, his tripod, several similar cameras and most of the darkroom equipment. Seeing all this stuff, my stuff, on display like that under glass was sort of unnerving, kind of made me feel old : )

They also had several of his best images. I found them a tad soft and dull to look at, he sort of made everyone look like a god, it is not the type of portraiture I feel is honest to the subject, they look great but heck they looked way to much like statues on mount Olympus.

I do love his photograph of Churchill thou because it showed the ferocity of spirit the man possessed.

You all know the story behind this picture don't you?

Karsh wanted to photograph Winston without his cigar and politely asked Churchill to remove it. Churchill being the tough old guy that he was wanted nothing to do with this little young Canadian photographer. Karsh seeing the cigar was going no where prepared his camera then walked up and PLUCKED THE CIGAR FROM CHURCHILLS MOUTH while apologizing softly. Karsh returned to his camera turned and made the photo, a photo that is one of the most famous portraits of all time, a portrait that had an influence on WWII.

The power of photography can truly be a great thing.