Thursday, January 7, 2010

Quotes: Diane Arbus

"A whore I once knew showed me a photo album of Instamatic color pictures she'd taken of guys she'd piked up. I don't mean kissing ones. Just guys sitting on beds in motel rooms. I remember one of a man in a bra. He was just a man, the most ordinary, milktoast sort of man, and he had just tried on a bra. Like anybody would try on a bra, like anybody would try on on what the other person had that he didn't have. It was heartbreaking. It was a really beautiful photograph."

"One of the extcitements of strobe at one time was that you were essentially blind at the moment you took the picture. I mean it alters the light enormously and reveals things you don't see."

"What is thrilling to me about what's called technique - I hate to call it that because it sounds like something up your sleeve - but what moves me about it is that it comes from some mysterious deep place. I mean it can have something to do with the paper and the developer and all that stuff, but it comes mostly from some very deep choices somebody has made that take a long time and keep haunting them."