Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Ladyboy Headshot Photographs

Been thinking about my next Thai photo project. A series of tight ladyboy head shots in color that I will print large on metallic paper. Last weekend I came upon two small photos from a book of portraits of Imogen Cunningham, the photos were tight head shots with the chins of the subjects off frame. I loved the intensity of the images and the unusual composition magnified the feel.

Have been experimenting with some heads in color lately using the twin reflex Mamiya. Placed an advertisement in the local arts paper looking for interesting, strong faces (man or woman). Want to be seeing everything clearly and have all the technical stuff down before I go to make the ladyboy heads in Thailand at the beginning of July.


Always liked this image of Imogen Cunningham and Twinka, liked the contrasts and the fact that a little old lady was making photos in the woods of a nude model. She was creating art not worrying about what others thought or felt (am sure her old lady friends gossiped about her!) I really admire that sort of Independence.