Sunday, February 28, 2021

Jungle Jerry?

Am about to take a nap in my darkroom recliner. Bob C from Toronto a pro printer FaceBook friend has advised me the I need a working.humidity of 45% in my darkroom to ensure the proper coating of the paper with platinum-palladium. I have had 2 1/2 humidifiers running  in the room for 1 hour and have taken  the humidity from 17% to 30%. Looks like I may need at least one more humidifier. To reach 45%.

This darkroom space  is turning into a humid, hot, jungle. Soon I will have exotic colourful insects, poisoned plants,  ie covered trees, angry snakes and hungry alligators calling this home.

Update* When I opened my humidifying cabinet (old film drying cabinet) and allowed the steam from my old style glass humidifier (a Value Village find) I was able to get the humidity in the room to get to 37%. The humidity in the cabinet fell from about 89% to 59%. 59% should be good enough for the papers I think, if I let them humidify at that percentage for an hour or so, I think! Still figuring out all this humidity and coating paper rules. It also depends on the type of paper used. So far I am only using the specially designed and easy to obtain (B&H Photo) Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag Fine Art Paper (quite a name there!).